From the Owner:
St Briavels Castle is a Norman castle that was originally built between 1075 and 1129, and was first used as an administrative office for the area of the Forest of Dean. King John used the castle as a hunting lodge in the early 13th century, later becoming the primary place where quarrels (used for crossbows) were manufactured. The castle then transferred hands many times among senior nobility throughout the 14th and 15th centuries, ultimately declining in both importance and appearance over the next century.
The castle was then primarily used as a court and debtors’ prison, in the 18th and 19th centuries. However, following local riots, its use as a prison was ceased.
The castle was completely renovated during the 20th century. It was then taken over and used as a youth hostel from 1948, which it remains to this day.